BGSUGD takes the internship experience very seriously, beginning in 2012 all BGSU Graphic Design majors have been required to complete an internship for class credit to earn a BFA degree. With this in mind, the information found in this summary is focused on our required internship. In order for a business or organization to become an approved for BGSUGD internships, the potential internship site needs to provide a solid, appropriate, educational environment for our students. The text below lists capabilities, facilities and people that we believe necessary to generate a valuable educational setting for our students.
Internship partners must be:
- Graphic Design Firm established for five-plus years; active in print and/or web design
- Advertising Agency
- Design/Brand Consultancy
- Printer sheetfed and/or web
- Television Station
- Publisher magazine, book, newspaper, etc.
- In-House Design Department fully-staffed, working within an business, organization, etc.
Internship mentors /supervisors must have a solid graphic design background:
Eight-plus years in the profession i.e. significant achievement in graphic design. Graphic Design or Visual Communication degree professional, accredited: BA, BS, BFA, MA, and/or MFA degree.
Internship mentors /supervisors must fulfill supervisory tasks including:
- Reporting in-progress via phone conversations with the intern’s academic advisorDedicating personal contact time with the intern.
- Completing an end-of-experience report on the intern used in final review of the intern’s eligibility.
- for course credit Internships require a significant amount of time to be a beneficial experience: BGSUGD for class credit internships require 225 hrs minimum experience per student/semester.
NOTE: The internship requirements listed above apply to the BGSUGD alone and do not apply to other divisions, departments or areas at the BGSU School of Art.
These internship requirements only apply to the BGSUGD internships for class credit. BGSUGD students may apply to internships that will not count as BGSU course credit on their own accord with or without BGSUGD division approval.
Our students have recently interned with:
American Greetings Corp Cleveland, Ohio
Aquent Studios • Eastlake, Ohio
Bedford Christian Community • Temperance, Michigan
BGSU Fine Art Center Galleries • Bowling Green, Ohio
BGSU Career Center • Bowling Green, Ohio
BGSU Center for Family & Demographic Research • Bowling Green, Ohio
BGSU Library Info Technology Services • Bowling Green, Ohio
Cambridge Design • Massachusetts
Cincinnati Magazine • Cincinnati, Ohio
Five Rivers MetroParks • Vandalia, Ohio
Forest City • Cleveland, Ohio
Grand Lubell Photography • Sylvania, Ohio
Gravity • Cincinnati, Ohio
Haney PRC • Cincinnati, Ohio
Hanson • Toledo, Ohio
Hart • Toledo, Ohio
Innovative Xait, Inc • Indianapolis, Indiana
Just Marketing International • Zionsville, Indiana
Les Cheneaux Design Type • Bowling Green, Ohio
Madhouse • Toledo, Ohio
Media Genesis • Troy, Michigan
North Design • Holland, Ohio
Therma-Tru Doors • Maumee, Ohio
WBGU PBS TV • Bowling Green, Ohio
Unigraphics • Bowling Green, Ohio